The quirks we pick up from work

I've had a range of different jobs short working life time.  I started as a lifeguard, then I became a veterinarian assistant.  I worked in a call center for 6 months, then moved on to working at the BYU Creamery flipping burgers, serving ice cream, and stocking the small grocery store, and now I work as a QA engineer at Domo inc.

Of the five jobs, I was only at three for a substantial amount of time, and from each job I developed a little quirk.

The lifeguard quirk is by far my favorite.  When you think of a lifeguard what do you think of? (Besides the hottest people at the pool).  Yelling at kids.  More specifically, yelling, "NO RUNNING!" at kids.  After a few months as a lifeguard a strange urge presented itself whenever I saw kids running anywhere.  Kids running at Target, at the ballpark, outside the library.  My lifeguard senses kick in at it takes all of my control to force those words back down my throat.

For most of my time at the BYU creamery I worked up front as a cashier for the grocery store.  When I was scanning and bagging the groceries, I was stocking and facing the store.  For those of you less knowledgeable in grocery store lingo (a.k.a. not as cool as me) facing is going around and pulling everything to the front of the shelf and turning the labels to face the front.  Basically I made all of the products look pretty.

Since the creamery I worked at was one of the smaller ones I spent most of my time facing the store, and that's the quirk I picked up.  When I would go out grocery shopping to Maceys or Smiths I found myself turning all of the peanut butter jars so that the labels all matched and pulling all of the cans of corn to the front of the shelf.  This one is probably the most annoying of my quirks because it really increased the time it took me to go grocery shopping.

The last quirk came from working in QA for Domo.  My work at Domo involves testing the product and reporting bugs.  Since I began work here at Domo I've found myself doing QA for everything.  Not only do I notice bugs and rocky UX, but I've been e-mailing companies to let them know what problems I've found.  I've even noticed that I'll take screenshots of bugs and save them to report, then I'll forget about it and stumble across pictures of bugs.

So those are my work quirks.  Some are annoying, some funny, and sometimes they make a small difference in the world. (At least I like to think so).

I'd really like to know who else out there is like me.  What are some quirks you've picked up from work?

Comments

  1. I triple count money coming back to me at the bank and at other stores. I also face it all the same direction face up.

    Great post whit!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Oogle Google Google of Time

A lot on my mind...

Thought burst